Team building involves leveraging available resources to improve output from a team. The process begins by the company identifying the current strengths and weaknesses of a team and each of its members, and then identifying company goals and objects. These lead in the designing of an acceptable team building plan and the related activities.
There are many things to consider when designing team building plans and activities. There are essentials that will make a good team building practice or exercise in a company, in order to result in a high performing team. Below is a list of those essentials, which can also be learnt in team building workshop Singapore.
1. Balance, compensation and diversity: Success in team building is when a given team is able to accomplish what the same number of individuals would not, separately as individuals. Team building is about leveraging diversity of skills and personalities and making sure members complement each other, balance, and compensate for each other’s weaknesses.
2. Harmony and effective communication: The other important factor is the directing of the efforts of members towards a common goal and objective, which relies heavily on the ability of the team to communicate effectively. In addition, members must learn to harmonize each other in the team, especially in relationships.
3. Good leadership: Teams are entities prone to conflicts and competing interests even when goals and objectives are known and agreed upon. For instance, people with similar personalities usually fight for dominance and authority.
Besides, conflicting directions and opinions are to be managed. Loss of coordination may also arise as a result of lack of trust and openness. That means groups must have good leaders to ensure coordination.
In addition to having a good leader, goals and objectives, as well as progress must be communicated effectively among members. It is also suggested that each person should have clear responsibilities and desired contribution level to avoid overlapping of authority.
4. Trust: Even work and job place relationships are affected by trust. Members on a team sometimes agree on a common goal but cannot successfully execute tasks as a team because they do not trust each other. This affects results.
Ensure that each of them spend adequate time with each other in honesty and openness, may it be during a group activity such as group lunch on Friday, an outing or outdoor team building activity. Many times employers expect to have loyal employees so must they too show the example by remaining loyal.
5. Inclusive decision making: Some issues require building consensus so that all members will commit to the tasks. In this case, involve the whole team in decision-making, for instance through decisions generated via collective discussions. Although opposing opinions are inevitable, ensure each member feels to own the final decisions made, which improves likelihood of participating.
Managers and entrepreneurs can leverage skills learnt through team building workshop Singapore to achieve corporate effectiveness. It helps companies build teams that are more productive and quick in solving day to day problems at work, in a team work. Besides, members who work as a team develop critical thinking skills.