As the use of internet has increased so has the crime associated with it. Cyber-attacks and identity threat have become common these days and Sony Pictures happens to display a classic example of being victimized of these crimes. It is therefore the need of hour to ensure that your e-commerce site and e-menu systems are properly protected. Let us quickly glance through how this can be ensured:
* Using a secure e-commerce retail POS platform – There are plenty of different kinds of ecommerce platforms and programming languages available today. Choosing from these is a critical step. There are platforms available in the market which make client and company data available only on company servers and completely remove it from public facing servers. Such methods partnered with different levels of authentication help securing e-commerce sites.
* Storing sensitive data – AS per the PCI Standards, it is not required to store and save customer records like credit card numbers, CVV information and expiry date. Such data can be easily misused by hackers. Companies should only save minimum customer data which is needed in case of any kind of refund or for charge-back purpose.
* System alerts – Ensure that there are multiple levels of alerts in place which get triggered in case of any suspicious transactions. These alerts are smart enough to gauge if the same person places multiple orders using different credit card or phone numbers or giving different billing addresses.
* Layered security – Use layered security levels using firewalls to safeguard your website and e-menu from cybercrime. Firewalls specifically help in forbidding hackers from breaching the safety network and gaining access to critical and important information. Using layered security features like login boxes, contact forms and search queries further secures your e-commerce and e-menu environment.
* Train your employees – You must create awareness and sensitize your employees about data security. Employees must be educated to not share any work related data via email or text messaging as this data can contain customer specific information which is likely to get misused. Employees also need to know the law of land regarding the use of customer data and safeguarding measures necessary to be put in place. In fitness of situation, it is recommended to document these guidelines and reinforce these to the employees.
* PCI scanning – Services like Trustwave are helpful in performing quarterly PCI scans for you which reduce the risk levels to your e-commerce website and e-menu. Certain companies use software like Magneto or PestaShop for safety purpose and it is important that such businesses retain the most recent versions of these software.